Sunday, June 13, 2010

MUFE HD Invisible Cover Foundation

Maybe 3 foundation posts in a row is overkill.. but then again, maybe it's not. There are thousands of reviews for Make Up For Ever's famous "high definition" make up.. you could definitely say it has a cult following. Thing's never seem to work out for me quite the same as they do for most, though.. so I wasn't surprised that this didn't blow me out of the water. Here's my story of how it worked out for me:



What It Is: Sephora's site describes this as being an oil-free foundation, with medium to full coverage. Marketed (sort-of) as a camera-friendly foundation, it's supposed to give your skin that "soft focus" effect, and prevent you from looking all funky on screen and in pictures. It boasts a few fancy ingredients.. relipidium, to boost moisture content; fucogel (can't science come up with some prettier names?), forms a barrier between your skin and the nasties floating around in the air; and finally, sericite..this, and I quote straight off the website, "enables rays of light to spread more widely across the face". Sounds pretty impressive. Speeding rays of light, beaming across your face, further and wider than any rays of light have sped across it before!
Application: Anyways, I used a classic foundation brush with this, like I do with everything. No stipplers or buffers or sponge eggs. I like the coverage and finish a plain old foundation brush gives me. The consistency was extremely runny, but it blended easily. I needed about 2 full pumps for the whole face.
Feel: The foundation felt extremely light and pleasant on the face. It also felt nice and moisturizing.
Look: The shade I got, 120 (medium-light with yellow undertones), seemed okay at first. But in retrospect, 123 would have probably been better as the shade description is an exact description of my skin tone: light with olive undertones. I definitely noticed that "soft focus" effect it promised. The problem was, the areas that had that looked great, but the areas that didn't look bad in comparison. The upper lip, between the eyebrows, and the nose area all looked kind of weird and drab compared to the rest of my lit-from-within face. The coverage was medium, nothing more. It didn't cover everything, but I'll give it credit for how much it brightened up the under-eye area. What I didn't like was that this did not work well when layered. It quickly turned a orange shade and looked really chalky.
Staying Power: This would probably fall under the "Look" category, but it's such an important point I didn't want anyone to overlook it. This foundation will make you shiiiine! Upon initial application, the finish is pretty close to perfect. But after about 2 hours, my face begins to shine in a way that no powder can cover up. It's the weirdest thing. As far as longevity, the coverage does last throughout the day. The shine factor is just too much for me though.

Final Thoughts: It didn't work out for me the way it did for tons of other people. It looks amazing on camera, but not so much in real life. It's funny because maybe the whole HD thing is what's wrong with it in the first place.. is it just me or does a pixelating foundation sound better than a high definition foundation? I need those flaws blurred out!

Ingredients, taken from Sephora's website: Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract, Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

No comments:

Post a Comment