Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My First Tut!

I've always felt like it's hard to capture a good, realistic picture of my make-up on camera so I don't take enough pictures.. but I promise I'll start :)
I thought a good start would be with a tutorial, so cut me some slack because this is my first tutorial and I'm still figuring out all the settings and quirks.. What I did was a look I always go to if I'm feeling indecisive about eye make-up that day. It looks clean and classy, and it's versatile enough to work with everything from bold red to shiny nude lips. I used all mac products, unless I mention otherwise. Of course, you could use anything you have that matches the color description. I think this look works best when the shadows are as close to matte in finish as possible.


I started by packing Blanc Type (a creamy, beige-white) onto the lid with the 239.


Then, using the 224, I swept Cork (any light-medium brown) into the crease following a windshield-wiper motion. This creates an outline for the darker brown while contributing to the graduating effect.. doing this step before the dark brown makes application less messy for me.

I then took a dark brown, which is the liner color from Benefit's Big Beautiful Eyes palette (any dark matte brown will do), and used the very tips of the 239 to first apply the color in a v shape, then one side of the brush to pull the color up into the crease color.



This picture is after two steps. First, I used the 217 with Swiss Chocolate (medium brown), blending the dark brown and Cork into each other. Take time to blend the dark brown on the outer v in with the Blanc Type during this step. The point of the medium brown is to merge the borders of the dark and light shadows together. For my highlight, I dipped the 224 into some more of the Blanc Type and lightly swept it along my brown bone.



Next, with some cheap beauty supply store brush, and Blacktrack Fluidline, I lined the upper lid. It wasn't exactly the closest line I could get, but you can never tell after my mascara :) I set the liner with Carbon (matte black). The black liner is a key step in this look, it pulls everything together and makes it classy.



I mascara'd up those eyelashes and lined my waterline with white liner.

Finally...


The camera just doesn't doesn't capture this quite as beautifully as it looks in person, unfortunately, but it's my favorite eyeshadow look.
Hope you enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment