Thursday, April 22, 2010

Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation

I've been in the market for a new pressed powder. I havn't had a good enough experience with a high end brand's powder to decide there's a big difference (for me) between those and a good drugstore brand, which is how I ended up in the Neutrogena aisle at Target.
I remembered reading once somewhere that dermatologists suggest those with sensitive skin buy only Almay and Neutrogena from the drugstore. I dont have particularly sensitive skin, but when it comes to face products, I thought it'd be a safe bet to follow that rule of thumb.

I ended up buying the Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation Compact in shade 50, "Soft Beige"



What It Is: A mineral powder foundation pressed into a compact. Neutrogena's website says it's oil-free, noncomedogenic, and frangrance-free. It has SPF 20, but I wouldn't suggest depending on this.. you'd have to pack it on to get the full protection factor.
Application: I used this as a foundation and as a setting powder. As a foundation, I used primer, then applied this with the sponge it came with (actually quite nice), damp. As a setting powder, I sheered it out over my face with a soft kabuki. I liked the added coverage it gave me on top of my foundation.
Look: As a foundation, this gave me medium coverage with a matte finish, but I packed it on. This is definitely a sheer foundation. Over liquid foundation, this mattified any dewiness I got initially. I didn't like this, so I used Fix+. The color was too light for me, and it seems as if all these powders run light (hello mineral foundation). This didn't melt into my skin the way I'd expect a mineral powder to, but if blended really well, there's no powdery finish.
Feel: Although the product is supposed to have moisturizing elements, it left my face dry and tight-feeling when used as a foundation. It felt and looked better after I spray my face with some Fix+. As a setting powder, it did not feel as dry, but I still set with the spray.
Staying Power: As a foundation, (with the primer) this lasted about 4 hours. Not impressive. To set liquid foundation, the powder worked well, extending the liquid foundation's longevity.

After 2 hours:


Final Musings: I think this serves me well for the purpose I bought it for.. to set my foundation. It created a smooth base for blushes and bronzers so they wouldn't apply streaky, and made my liquid foundation last longer. My biggest problem with this is that it doesn't seem like it would last at all used as a foundation. I can't imagine how long it would have lasted had I not used a primer. I would go a color up next time too, although the shade I got is workable. All in all, I don't think this outperforms the next drugstore powder. The difference, I guess, is in the ingredients, so it comes down to you and your skin's needs.

This foundation costs $12 at Target, but I've seen it around with prices ranging from $9.99-$13.99.

Ingredients: Mica, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Dimethicone, Oryza Sativa Starch (Rice), Magnesium Myristate, Methicone, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Pantothenic Acid, Panthenol, Glycine Soja Flour (Soybean), Alumina, Silk Powder, Water, Polymethylmethacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    i love your reviews!you made me wanna go shopping so bad! do you have a followers button? I have a website and blog, and although i am highly addicted to makeup, my sites are about jewelry. please check them out and pass them on ;) forbeadngems.blogspot.com forbeadngems.com

    ReplyDelete